- About Us
- Our Community
Eleana Silk is the librarian at St. Vladimir's Seminary. She is co-editor of the book, The Legacy of St. Vladimir, and has written articles for The Orthodox Church, The FROC Journal and the OCA's Resource Handbook for Lay Ministries. Eleana has a B.S. in Zoology from Michigan State University, a B.S. in Geology from George Washington University, the Master of Divinity and Master of Arts in Religious Education from St. Vladimir's Seminary, and Master of Science in Library Science from Columbia University. Eleana has been active at all levels of the Orthodox Church in America and current serves on the Department of History and Archives. Eleana has been a member of the Metropolitan Council (MC) since 2006 and is a member of the MC Strategic Planning Committe and the Finance Committee. Her interests are in 20th-century Orthodoxy in North America. She has spoken on the methodology of oral history. Eleana has been at St. Vladimir's Seminary for 28 years.
B.S. in Zoology cum laude, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, 1972 B.S. in Geology, George Washington University, Washington, DC, 1979 M.Div. cum laude, St. Vladimir's Seminary, 1986 M.A. in Religious Education cum laude, St. Vladimir's Seminary, 1988 M.L.S., Library Science, Columbia University, New York, NY, 1989
Editor, with John Breck and John Meyendorff, The Legacy of St. Vladimir (Crestwood, NY: SVS Press, 1990)
- "Living Tradition in the Orthodox Church," Orthodox Education Day Book, St. Vladimir's Seminary, 2003.
- Oral History for Parish Use (II-90-1) in Resource Handbook (Orthodox Church in America, 1990)
Various articles in:
- The Orthodox Church
- FROC Journal
- "Eucharistic Revival in the Orthodox Church in America: Tradition and Traditions in Liturgical Worship," Bridgeport, CT, June 11, 2005.
- "Oral History for Parishes," Bethesda, MD, St. Mark Orthodox Church, January 9, 2004
- "Eucharistic Revival in the Orthodox Church," Sign of the Theotokos Orthodox Church, Montreal, Canada, October 19, 2003.
- "Oral History," Orthodox Education Day, St. Vladimir's Seminary, Crestwood, NY, October 4, 2003.
- "Stories and Oral History," St. Basil's Church, Watervliet, NY, October 17, 2002.
- "Stories and Oral History," Holy Transfiguration Orthodox Church, New Haven, CT, October 14, 2002.
- "Oral History and Parish History: A Workshop," St. Nicholas Cathedral, Washington, DC, August 17, 2002.
- "Pastoral Discussion on Exploring Parish History," Liturgical Institute of Music and Pastoral Practice, St. Vladimir's Seminary, Crestwood, NY, June 25, 2002
- "Preserving Our Past: Oral History as a Pastoral Resource," Liturgical Institute of Music and Pastoral Practice, St. Vladimir's Seminary, Crestwood, NY, June 25, 2002.
Church & Professional Activities:
- Member, Board of Trustees of St. Herman Orthodox Theological Seminary, 2004–2007
- Alternate, Metropolitan Council, Orthodox Church in America, 2005–2006
- Delegate, Metropolitan Council, Orthodox Church in America, 2006–2011
- Corresponding secretary, Orthodox Christian Education Commission (OCEC) 1987–2009
- Member, Oral History Association
- Member, American Library Association
- Member, American Theological Library Association
- Member, New York Area Theological Library Association
- Member, Department of History and archives, OCA
- Member, Bicentennial Commission, OCA
Other Work Experience:
- Librarian, St. Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary, Crestwood, NY, 1985–present
- Computer Programmer, Tymshare, Bethesda, MD, 1980–1984.
- Computer Programmer and Computer System Manager, Ketron, Inc, Rosslyn, VA, 1980–1982.
- Systems Analyst and Researcher, U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, VA, 1978–1980.