- About Us
- Our Community
Orthodox Education Day 2012 Explores JRR Tolkien, CS Lewis, & The Hunger Games!
Date:October 6, 2012
Download the full schedule.
Save the date of Saturday, October 6, 2012, for our annual Open House, Orthodox Education Day (OED). This year's theme will be "Inklings of Glory: Godward Journeys with Lewis and Tolkien," and features of the day will include:
Lecture by Priest Andrew Cuneo (SVOTS alumnus '10), the first Oxford University scholar ever to receive a doctoral degree on C.S. Lewis, and currently the founding priest of St. Katherine of Alexandria Orthodox Mission in Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California. Father Andrew will be speaking about "Christian Themes in C.S. Lewis."
- Book Study for your parish book clubs or personal interest! Father Andrew Cuneo, an expert on the writings and thought of C.S. Lewis will lead a discussion on the book The Abolition of Man; please bring your book and thinking caps!
Lecture by Dr. Christopher Mitchell, director of the Marion E. Wade Center at Wheaton College, which houses a major research collection by and about seven British authors, including J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. View a lecture by Dr. Mitchell, "Lewis and Tolkien: Scholars and Friends," here.
- Weeping Icon of St. Anna from St. Tikhon's Monastery displayed for public veneration
- Early morning Divine Liturgy, mid-day Akathist service, Panikhida and Vespers, with His Eminence, The Most Rev. Tikhon, archbishop of Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylvania, presiding at the liturgical services; also serving will be His Grace The Rt. Rev. Michael, bishop of New York, and New York and New Jersey, and administrator of the Orthodox Church in America..
- Seminary library display of icons from the British Isles
- Sacred music choral performance
- Traditional national dance—including a champion Irish step dancer from the Inishfree School of Irish Dance!
- Variety of ethnic foods
Spread the word about "Inklings of Glory" with your friends, family, and parish family!