Dr. Paul Meyendorff
Dr. Paul Meyendorff
The Father Alexander Schmemann Professor of Liturgical Theology
- B.A., Trinity College, Hartford, CT, 1972 (Honors, Phi Beta Kappa)
- M.Div., St Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary, 1975 (magna cum laude)
- Ph.D., University of Notre Dame, 1987
- Institut Saint-Serge, Paris, France, Doctorat honoris causa, 2013
Recent Courses Taught at SVOTS
- Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, St Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary, 2002-2007.
- Fr Alexander Schmemann Professor of Liturgical Theology, St Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary, 1997-present (Instructor, 1987-1988; Assistant Professor, 1987-1991; Associate Professor, 1991-1997).
- Visiting Professor, Yale Divinity School, Fall 1997.
- Visiting Professor, Graduate Program in Liturgy, University of Notre Dame, Spring 1999 (Visiting Associate Professor, Summer 1991, Spring 1993, 1995, 1997).
- Adjunct Professor, Drew University, Doctoral Program in Liturgical Studies, 1989-present.
- Editor, St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly, 1996-2001, 2007-present.
- Editor, Orthodox Liturgy Series, St Vladimir's Seminary Press, 2009-present.
- Associate Editor, St Vladimir's Seminary Press, 1994-1996.
- The Service of the Anointing of the Sick (Crestwood: SVS Press, 2009).
- Russia, Ritual, and Reform: The Liturgical Reforms of Nikon in the 17th Century (Crestwood: SVS Press, 1991).
- St Germanus of Constantinople, On the Divine Liturgy, translation, introduction and commentary (Crestwood: SVS Press, 1984); Russian translation: Sv. German Konstantinopol'skii, Skazanie o Tserkvi i rassmotrenie tainstv (Moscow: Martis, 1995); Serbian translation: Sabornost 6/3-4 (2000), 67-13.
- Translation from the French of The Incarnate God: The Feasts of Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary, 2 vols., ed. Catherine Aslanoff (Crestwood, NY: SVS Press, 1995).
- Translation from the French of Olivier Clément, Conversations with Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I (Crestwood, NY: SVS Press, 1997).
- The Anointing of the Sick, Orthodox Liturgy Series 1 (Crestwood, NY: SVS Press, 2009). Also published in Romanian translation: Taina Sfântului Maslu – ungerea bolnavilor, traducere, prefaţă şi note Cezar Login (Cluj-Napoca: Editura Renaşterea, 2011).
- The Service of the Anointing of the Sick, editor and translator (Crestwood, NY: SVS Press, 2009).
- Translation from the French of Thomas Pott, Byzantine Liturgical Reform: A Study of Liturgical Change in the Byzantine Tradition, Orthodox Liturgy Series 2 (Crestwood, NY: SVS Press, 2010).
- Translation from the French of Job Getcha, The Typikon Decoded, Orthodox Liturgy Series 3 (Yonkers, NY: SVS Press, 2012).
- “Towards a Baptismal Ecclesiology,” in Hans-Jürgen Feulner, ed., Liturgies in East and West. Ecumenical Relevance of Early Liturgical Developments. Acts of the International Symposium Vindobonense I, Vienna, November 17-29, 2007, Ősterreichische Studien zur Liturgiewissenschaft und Sakramententheologie, Bd. 6 (Vienna: LIT-Verlag, 2013) 285-94.
- “Ethnophyletism, Autocephaly, and National Churches – A Theological Approach and Ecclesiological Implications,” St Vladimir’s Theological Quarterly 57 (2013) 381-94.
- “Fr John Meyendorff and the Autocephaly of the Orthodox Church in America,” St Vladimir’s Theological Quarterly 56 (2012) 335-52.
- “’Discerner le Corps du Christ’. Réactions d’un orthodoxe au document du Comité mixte catholique luthéro-réformé,” Istina 57 (2012) 227-36.
- “Ikonen – liturgisk konst och andlig verklighet,” in Swedish (“Icons – Liturgical Art and Spiritual Reality”) in Lars Gedmar, ed, Ikonen – närvaro och källa (Lund: Sekel, 2011), 105-25.
- “Fr Schmemann’s Liturgical Legacy in America,” St Vladimir’s Theological Quarterly 53 (2009) 319- 30. French translation: “L’héritage liturgique du père Alexandre Schmemann en Amérique,” in La joie du Royaume. Actes du colloque international L’héritage du père Alexandre Schmemann. Paris, 11-14 décembre 2008 (Paris: YMCA-Press, 2012), 185-96.
- “A Response to Archimandrite Elpidophoros Lambridianis,” St Vladimir’s Theological Quarterly 54 (2010) 441-47.
- "Towards Mutual recognition of Baptism," in Baptism Today: Understanding, Practice, Ecumenical Implications (Faith and Order Paper No. 207)(Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 2008), 195-206.
- "Primacy in a United Church," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 52 (2008) 223-229. Paper presented at the 73rd meeting of the North-American Orthodox-Catholic Theological Consultation, November 2007.
- "The Priesthood of the Laity," in A. Bezzerides, Christ at Work: Orthodox Christian Perspectives on Vocation (Brookline, MA: Holy Cross Orthodox Press, 2006), 209-227. Excerpt reprinted in Again: The Ancient Christian Faith Today 28/3 (2006) 10-13
- "Rites funeraires orthodoxes," in La mort et la resurrection dans la tradition orthodoxe (Actes du troisieme colloque de theologie orthodoxe de l'Universite de Sherbrooke) (Sherbrooke, QC: Sherbrooke University, 2004) 71-81
- "Scriptural Approach to Death," in La mort et la resurrection dans la tradition orthodoxe (Actes du troisieme colloque de theologie orthodoxe de l'Universite de Sherbrooke) (Sherbrooke, QC: Sherbrooke University, 2004) 17-26
- "Christian Perspectives on Worship," in T. Best and D. Heller, eds., Worship Today: Understanding, Practice, Ecumenical Implications (Faith and Order Paper No. 194) (Geneva: WCC Publications, 2004) 282-297
- "Offering 'Your Own of Your Own': Stewardship in the Liturgy," in Anthony Scott, ed., Good and Faithful Servant: Stewardship in the Orthodox Church (Crestwood, NY: SVS Press, 2003), 153-164
- "Liturgical Life in the Parish: Present and Future Realities," in A. Vrame, ed., The Orthodox Parish in America (Brookline: Holy Cross Orthodox Press, 2003), 143-153
- "Ecumenical Prayer: An Orthodox Perspective," The Ecumenical Review 54 (2002), 28-32.
- "Liturgical Translations of the Orthodox Church in America," Logos: A Journal of Eastern Christian Studies 41-42 (2000-2001), 59-82.
- "The People of God at Prayer: An Interview with Gordon Lathrop, Kevin Seasoltz, and Paul Meyendorff," Crosspoint 13/2 (2000), 4-10; 67-70.
- "He Was Known to Them in the Breaking of Bread" (October 7, 2000); Serbian translation: Sabornost 6/3-4 (2000), 139-141.
- "Response to 'Evangelization, Proselytism, and Common Witness," Pneuma: The Journal of the Society for Pentecostal Studies 21/1 (1999), 70-72.
- "The Byzantine Liturgy: An Introduction," in Prism, VI:4 (1997) 1-2.
- "A Taste of Glory," in Christian History, Issue 54, XVI:2 (1997) 40-41.
- "Origins of the Eastern Liturgies," in St Nersess Theological Review, I:2 (1996) 213-221.
- "Russian Liturgical Worship" (English and Russian), in Vladimir Morosan, ed., Monuments of Russian Sacred Music, Series II, vols. 1/2/3: Peter Tchaikovsky, The Complete Sacred Choral Works (Madison, CT: Musica Russica, 1996), xvii-xxxix.
- "The Liturgical Path of Orthodoxy in America in the 20th Century: Past, Present, and Future," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 40 (1996) 43-64.
- "Liturgicheskii Put' Pravoslavnoi Tserkvi v Amerike v XX v.," Pravoslavnaia Obshchina 1 (19) 1994, 105-155.
- "Svet s zapada: Liturgicheskii put' pravoslaviia v Amerike v XX veke," Nezavisimaia Gazeta [Moscow, Russia], Thursday, June 16, 1994, p 5.
- "Response," to Wade Clarke Roof's "The Changing American Religious Landscape: Implications for Ritual," Proceedings of the North American Academy of Liturgy, 1994 Annual Meeting, 28-30.
- "Orthodox Churches Celebrate All Saints," in Liturgy: All Saints Among the Churches = Liturgy 12/2 (1994) 16-20.
- "The Anointing of the Sick: Some Pastoral Considerations," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 35 (1991) 241-255.
- "Liturgy," Dictionary of the Ecumenical Movement (Geneva: WCC Publications, 1991), 623-626.
- "Alexander Schmemann: Theologian of the Orthodox Liturgy," in How Firm a Foundation: Leaders of the Liturgical Movement (Chicago: Liturgy Training Publications, 1990), 300-306.
- "Sacramental Theology and Pastoral Care (Orthodox)," Dictionary of Pastoral Care and Counseling (Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1990), 1097-98.
- "Reflections on Russian Liturgy: A Retrospective on the Occasion of the Millennium," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 33 (1989), 21-34.
- "The Orthodox Practice of Penance," Studia Liturgica 18 (1988) 108-111 (Text of paper presented at Societas Liturgica Assembly, Brixen, Italy, in August 1987).
- "Eastern Liturgical Theology to 1150," World Spirituality, an Encyclopedic History of the Religious Quest: Christian Spirituality 1, Origins to the Twelfth Century (New York: Crossroad, 1985), pp 350-363.
- "The Liturgical Reforms of Peter Moghila, A New Look," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 29 (1985) 101-114; Ukranian translation: "Liturgichni Reformi Petra Mogili: Novii Pogliad," Vira i Kultura/Faith and Culture 11 (Winnipeg: St Andrew's College, 1997-1998), 71-86; also in P. Moghila: Bogoslov, Tserkovnii i Kulturnii Diiach (Kiev: "DNIPRO," 1997), 61-73.
- Numerous book reviews, chiefly in Worship and St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly.