Dr. Daniel B. Hinshaw
Dr. Daniel B. Hinshaw
Professor of Pallative Care
Daniel B. Hinshaw is a professor of surgery at the University of Michigan School of Medicine. The founding director of the Palliative Care Consultation Service at the Veterans Administration Medical Center (VAMC) in Ann Arbor, Michigan, he formerly served as chief of surgery then as chief of the medical staff at the VAMC. His clinical research interests are focused on care at the end of life, spiritual distress in advanced illness, and the use of complementary medicine in the relief of pain. Basic research interests have included the toxicology of mustard gas and the role of the microfilament system in coordinating the events of programmed cell death (apoptosis).
- B.S., Loma Linda University
- M.D., Loma Linda University School of Medicine
- Surgical Residency, Loma Linda University
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Scripps Clinic and Research Foundation
- Clinical Fellow in Palliative Medicine, Cleveland Clinic
Current Projects and Research Interests
I am in the process of finishing a book entitled, "Touch and the Healing of the World," which explores the sense of touch in light of the Incarnation of the Word of God within the Eastern Church's tradition. The book examines the healing nature of touch through a series of reflections on icons that exemplify different aspects of how God has touched His creation.
Recent Courses Taught at SVOTS
- Pastoral Theology - Ministry to the Sick and Dying (PT 320/520)
- Hinshaw, Daniel B. and Carnahan-Hinshaw, Jane: “A Christian Ending to Our Life.” St. Vladimir’s Theological Quarterly 44(1): 61-82, 2000.
- Easson, AM, Hinshaw, DB, and Johnson, DL. “The Role of Tube Feeding and Total Parenteral Nutrition in Advanced Illness (with Invited Commentary)”. J. Am. Coll. Surg. 194: 225-229, 2002.
- Piotrowski, MM and Hinshaw, DB. “The Safety Checklist Program: Creating a Culture of Safety in Intensive Care Units.” Joint Comm. J. Qual. Improv. 28: 306-315, 2002.
- Piotrowski, MM, Saint, S, and Hinshaw, DB. “The Safety Case Management Committee: Expanding the Avenues for Addressing Patient Safety.” Joint Comm. J. Qual. Improv. 28: 296-305, 2002.
- Hinshaw, DB, Carnahan, JM, and Johnson, DL. “Depression, Anxiety, and Asthenia in Advanced Illness (with Invited Commentary).” J. Am. Coll. Surg. 195: 271-278, 2002
- Hinshaw, DB. “The Spiritual Needs of the Dying Patient (with Invited Commentary).” J. Am. Coll. Surg. 195: 565-569, 2002
- Hinshaw, DB, Pawlik, T, Mosenthal, AC, Civetta, JM, and Hallenbeck, J. “When Do We Stop, and How Do We Do It? Medical Futility and Withdrawal of Care.” J. Am. Coll. Surg. 196: 621-651, 2003.
- Piotrowski, MM, Paterson, C, Mitchinson, A, Kim, HM, Kirsh, M, Hinshaw, DB. “Massage as Adjuvant Therapy in the Management of Acute Postoperative Pain: A Preliminary Study.” Men. J. Am. Coll. Surg. 197: 1037-1046, 2003.
- Lee, KF, Purcell, GP, Hinshaw, DB, Krouse, RS, and Baluss, M. “Clinical Palliative Care for Surgeons: Part 1.” J. Am. Coll. Surg. 198: 303-319, 2004.
- Lee, KF, Johnson, D, Purcell, GP, Hinshaw, DB, Krouse, RS, and Baluss, M. “Clinical Palliative Care for Surgeons: Part 2.” J. Am. Coll. Surg. 198: 477-491, 2004.
- Hinshaw, DB. “Spiritual Issues at the End of Life.” Clin. in Family Pract. 6(2): 423-440, 2004.
- Hinshaw, DB. “Spiritual Issues in Surgical Palliative Care.” Surg. Clin. N. Am. 85:257-272, 2005.
- Mitchinson, AM, Kim, HM, Rosenberg, JM, Geisser, M, Kirsh, M, Cikrit, D, and Hinshaw, DB. “Acute post-operative pain management using massage as adjuvant therapy: A randomized trial.” Arch. Surg. 142(2):1158-1167, 2007.
- Mitchinson, AM, Kim, HM, Geisser, ME, Rosenberg, JM, Hinshaw, DB. “Social Connectedness and Patient Recovery after Major Operations.” J. Am. Coll. Surg. 206(2):292-300, 2008.
- Hinshaw, DB. “Ethical Issues in End-of-Life Care.” J. Med. Liban. 56(2):122-128, 2008.
- Woll, M, Hinshaw, DB, and Pawlik, TM. “Spirituality and Religion in the Care of Surgical Oncology Patients with Life-Threatening or Advanced Illnesses.” Ann. Surg. Oncol. 15(11): 3048-3057, 2008.
- Hinshaw, DB and Dunn, GP. “Special Issue on Palliative Surgery: Guest Editorial.” Prog. Pall. Care 17(5): 235-6, 2009.
- Hinshaw, DB, Carnahan, JM, Breck, JR, Mosoiu, N, and Mosoiu, D. “Spiritual Issues in Suffering: Creating a Dialogue Between Clergy and Palliative Care Providers.” Prog. Pall. Care 19(1): 7-14, 2011.
- Mitchinson, A, Fletcher, C, Kim, M, Montagnini, M, and Hinshaw, DB. “Integrating massage therapy within the palliative care of veterans with advanced illnesses: An outcome study.” Am. J. Hosp. Pall. Care, 2014; 31 (1): 6-12. (Published on line 18 February, 2013; DOI: 10.1177/1049909113476568).
- Hinshaw, DB, and Carnahan Hinshaw, J. “Addiction at the End of Life: ‘Total Pain’ and the Passions.” European Journal of Science and Theology, February 2013, Vol. 9, Supplement 1, 51-60.
- Pawlik, TM, Devon, KM, Fields, CA, and Hinshaw, DB. “What are patients’ expectations about the effects of chemotherapy for advanced cancer?” J. Am. Coll. Surg. 2014; 219(3): 588-590.
- Fletcher, CE, Mitchinson, AR, Trumble, EL, Hinshaw, DB, and Dusek, JA. “Perceptions of providers and administrators in the Veterans Health Administration regarding complementary and alternative medicine.” Medical Care 2014; Dec; 52(12 Suppl 5) S91-96.
- Fletcher CE, Mitchinson AR, Trumble EL, Hinshaw DB, Dusek JA. “Perceptions of Other Integrative Health Therapies by Veterans with Pain Who Are Receiving Massage.” J. Rehab. R&D 2016; 53(1): 117-126.
- Wancata, LM, and Hinshaw, DB. “Rethinking autonomy: decision making between patient and surgeon in advanced illnesses.” Ann. Transl. Med. 2016; 4(4):77-88.
- Wancata, LM, Hinshaw, DB, Suwanabol, PA. “Palliative Care and Surgical Training: Are We Being Trained to Be Unprepared?” Annals of Surgery, in press.
Chapters in Books
- Davis, MP and Hinshaw, DB. “Management of Visceral Pain Due to Cancer-Related Intestinal Obstruction” (Chapter 38) pages 481-495, 2006. In Cancer Pain: Pharmacologic, Interventional, and Palliative Care Approaches, ed. De Leon-Casasola, OA., Elsevier Science, Philadelphia, PA.
- Hinshaw, DB. “Management of the Older Surgical Patient” (Chapter 5g) pages 69-74, 2006. In Current Surgical Diagnosis and Treatment, 12th edition; Editor: Doherty, G., McGraw-Hill, New York, NY.
- Hinshaw, DB and Dunn, GP. Chapter 19 (pages 227-240): “Care During the Final Days of Life in Surgical Palliative Care: A Resident’s Guide.” GP Dunn, Editor-in-Chief, Martensen, R, and Weissman, D, Associate Editors. American College of Surgeons & Cuniff-Dixon Foundation. Essex, CT, 2009.
- Dunn, GP, Hinshaw, DB, and Pawlik, TM. Chapter 37 (pages 390-397): “Palliative Care and Surgery in Supportive Oncology.” Eds. Davis MP, Feyer, PC, Ortner, P, and Zimmermann, C. Elsevier, Saunders, Philadelphia, PA, 2011.
- Hinshaw, DB, Jacobson, PD, and Weisel, MP. Chapter 8 (pages 157-181): “Individual and Social Callousness towards Human Suffering in Suffering and Bioethics” Eds., Green, RM and Palpant, NJ; Oxford University Press, New York, NY, 2014.
- Hall, DE, Angelos, P, Dunn, GP, Hinshaw, DB, and Pawlik, TM. Chapter 48 (pages 1941-1954): “Ethics, Palliative Care and Care at the End of Life in Schwartz’s Principles of Surgery,” Brunicardi, F.C., Editor-in-Chief; 10th ed., McGraw Hill, New York, NY, 2015.
- Hinshaw, DB. “Kenosis of the Dying: An Invitation to Healing,” pp. 155-163 in The Role of Death in Life: A Multidisciplinary Examination of the Relationship between Life and Death, eds. Cunningham, C and Behr, J., Wipf and Stock Publishers, 2015.
- Hinshaw, DB. “Becoming a Healing Presence,” submitted as part of the Proceedings of the Orthodox Christian Association of Medicine, Psychology, and Religion, November 2015.
- Mosoiu, D, Hinshaw, J, Hinshaw, D, Burlacu, G, Horeica, R, Ancuta, C, and Mitrea, N. Manualul Formatorului in Ingrijirea Paliativa [Training Manual in Palliative Care] (for undergraduate nursing training in palliative care). Fundatia Hospice Casa Sperantei, Brasov, Romania, 2010.
- Hinshaw, DB. Suffering and the Nature of Healing; St. Vladimir’s Seminary Press, Yonkers, NY, 2013.
Recent Conference Presentations and Activities
- 3-5 December 2015 Moscow, Russia – invited presentations entitled, “Interaction of Palliative Care Units with other Health Care Institutions,” “Spiritual Care of the Dying within the Orthodox Tradition,” and “Breaking Bad News” Master Class and plenary presentation at Russian National Hospice Association Meeting, Moscow Russia
- 4 December 2015 “Bioethics in Hospice and Palliative Care: An Orthodox Christian Perspective,” at the Moscow Theological Academy, Holy Trinity Monastery, Sergiev Posad, Russia
- 8-12 February 2016 "Ministry to the Sick and Dying" Intensive Course in Pastoral Theology (in collaboration with Dr. Jane Carnahan Hinshaw) for graduate students at St. John of Damascus Theological Institute University of Balamand, Lebanon
- 13 February 2016 One-Day Seminar: "Pastoral Needs and Accompaniment of the Elderly" with Dr. Jane Carnahan Hinshaw at St. John of Damascus Theological Institute University of Balamand, Lebanon
- 18 February 2016 Invited Presentation to the Lebanon Chapter of the American College of Surgeons: “Surgeons and Suffering,” Beirut, Lebanon
- 19-20 February 2016 Invited Keynote Speaker and Discussant for Second Symposium on Palliative Care Development in Lebanon with two presentations entitled, "Integration of Palliative Care into Acute Care Medicine" and "Empathic Communication in Advanced Illness," Beirut, Lebanon
- 25-27 February 2016 Part One Masters in Palliative Care Course: "Suffering, Cultural Issues and Spirituality at the End of Life," Transilvania University, Brasov, Romania
- 1 March 2016 Seminar on “Pathological Grief” (in collaboration with Dr. Jane Carnahan Hinshaw) at Hospice Casa Sperantei, Brasov, Romania
- 3 March 2016 Seminar on "Appropriateness of Resuscitation in Hospice Settings" (in collaboration with Dr. Jane Carnahan Hinshaw) at Hospice Casa Sperantei, Brasov, Romania
- 8-10 March 2016 Visiting Professor for “Basic Palliative Care for Oncologists” course at Oncologic Institute of Cluj, Romania
- 13 March 2016 Invited Presentation: “The Role of Prayer in Healing,” (in collaboration with Dr. Jane Carnahan Hinshaw) at ASCOR (Romanian Orthodox Christian Student Association) chapel, Babes Bolyai University, Cluj, Romania
- 17-19 March 2016 Part Two Masters in Palliative Care Course: "Suffering, Cultural Issues and Spirituality at the End of Life," Transilvania University, Brasov, Romania
- 21 March 2016 Intensive Clergy Seminar: “Challenges of Pastoral Care in the Health Care Setting” (in collaboration with Dr. Jane Carnahan Hinshaw, Dr. Daniela Mosoiu, and Fr. Cosmin Irimie), Brasov, Romania
- 23 March 2016 Visiting Professor in collaboration with Dr. Jane Carnahan Hinshaw for Seminar presentation entitled, “The Journey of Aging: Psychological and Spiritual Preparation for Death,” at the St. Andrei Saguna Theological Faculty, Lucian Blaga University, Sibiu, Romania
- 28 March 2016 Introductory Health Care Training for Clergy at Hospice Casa Sperantei, Bucharest, Romania (in collaboration with Dr. Jane Carnahan Hinshaw)
- 29-30 March and 4-8 April 2016 Palliative Care Training for Oncology Residents at Hospice Casa Sperantei Bucharest (lectures and hands on, bedside teaching in collaboration with Dr. Jane Carnahan Hinshaw, Dr. Daniela Mosoiu, and Dr. Liliana Stancilescu)
- 31 March, 1-2 April 2016 Faculty with Dr. Jane Carnahan Hinshaw for course entitled, “Integration of Physical, Psychological, Social, and Spiritual Care at the End of Life,” at Sf. Irina Hospice, Bucharest, Romania
- 3 April 2016 Invited presentation at Annual Martyrology Conference at Aiud Monastery, entitled, “The Torture of God”
- 7-8 April 2016 Consultant for Swiss-Romanian training program for basic palliative care for general practitioners in Romania
- 7 May 2016 Invited Speaker for Colloquium entitled, “The Light Shines in Darkness: Hope in the Midst of Suffering,” Montreal Institute of Orthodox Theology, Montreal, Canada
- 25 May 2016 Invited faculty for training (with Dr. Jane Carnahan Hinshaw) of volunteer Prisoner Palliative Care Aides (PPCAs) at Michigan State Prison Hospital, Jackson, MI
- Chair, Steering Committee for American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Palliative Care in Oncology Symposium for September 2016 and member of the Planning Committee for ASCO Palliative Care in Oncology Symposium 2016
After a minute intro in Romanian, hear Drs. Daniel and Jane Hinshaw, who teach our D.Min. students, talk about the intersection between Orthodox Christianity and palliative care . Video used with permision of Trinitas Tv of the Romanian Patriarchate .