Rev. Dr. J. Sergius Halvorsen
Rev. Dr. J. Sergius HalvorsenDirector of the Doctor of Ministry Program, Assistant Professor of Homiletics and Rhetoric
Father Sergius Halvorsen received his M.Div. from St. Vladimir’s Seminary in 1996, and completed his doctoral dissertation at Drew University in 2002. From 2000 to 2011 he taught at Holy Apostles College and Seminary in Cromwell Connecticut, where he also served as Director of Distance Learning. He was ordained to the diaconate in 1999 and to the priesthood in February 2004. Fr. Sergius is an accomplished liturgical musician, he was director of the 1995 SVS Octet, and over the last ten years has contributed to a number of "Archangel Voices" recordings. He currently lives in New Haven CT with his wife and three children. He loves gardening, hiking, biking, and reading biographies and historical fiction.
- B.A. Biology, University of California, Santa Cruz, 1992
- M.Div., St. Vladimir's Seminary, 1996
- Ph.D., Drew University, 2002
- Christian Education
- Faith and Science
Current Projects and Research Interests
I'm working on an introductory volume in homiletics, and I'm doing research on what it means to encounter God today.
Recent Courses Taught at SVOTS
A common question throughout my courses is, "So what?" We confess our faith in God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, according to the tradition of the Orthodox Church, but how does that matter in day to day life?
- Regular contributor to The Preacher, The College of Preachers, Nottingham UK
- "Preaching Justice to the Unjust" in "Social Justice Review" Vol. 103 No. 1-2 (January-February, 2012): 18-21.
- “You are the Man: 2 Samuel 11–12 as a rhetorical paradigm for contemporary preaching” in Festschrift in Honor of Paul Nadim Tarazi Vol 3, ed. Tom Dykstra, (New York: Peter Lang, 2015)
Recent Conference Presentations and Activities
- The Tradition of Liturgical Homilies and the Implications for Contemporary Homiletic Practice" Pappas Patristic Institute, Holy Cross-Hellenic College, Brookline MA, 2014.
- "The Inverted Classroom: How good teaching goes beyond content delivery," St. Tikhon's University, Moscow, January 2014.
- "Sacramental Preaching" National Festival of Young Preachers, Academy of Preachers, Atlanta GA, January 2013
- "The Vulnerability of the Incarnation: God made man," Archbishop DMITRI Memorial Lecture, St. Barbara's Church, Fort Worth TX, April 20
- "Bits, Bytes and the Body of Christ: Establishing and maintaining community in theological distance education" St. Tikhon's University, Moscow, January 2013.
- "Preaching Transformation: Eucharistic Homiletics and the Presence of Christ" North American Academy of Homiletics, Austin TX, December 2011