Peter N. Gramowich Professor of Church History,
- B.A., Harvard College, 1966
- M.Phil., Yale University, 1970
- M.Th., St Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary, 1984
- Orthodox Christians in America (Oxford University Press, 1999)
- The Quest for Unity: Orthodox and Catholics in Dialogue , with John Borelli (SVS Press and United States Catholic Conference, 1996)
- The Challenge of Our Past: Essays in Orthodox Church History and Canon Law (SVS Press, 1990)
- Associate editor, Orthodox America, 1794-1976 (Orthodox Church in America, 1975)
- Editor and translator. Vladimir Lossky, In the Image and Likeness of God (SVS Press, 1974)
- Co-editor, five volumes of Orthodox liturgical music (SVS Press)
- "Serving God in a New Way (466.71 Kb)" SVS News for Spring 2006 (pg 7-8)
- "Marriage and Possible Alternatives: The Pursuit of Wholeness and Holiness" - SVS Summer Institute 2004
- "Human Dignity: Byzantine Political Philosphy Revisited" (Paper presented at the Tenth Annual Educational Forum of the American Foundation for Greek Language and Culture, Tampa FL, March 3-5, 2005, published on this web site.)
- "Beyond Dialogue: The Quest for Eastern and Oriental Orthodox Unity Today" (Symposium on 1700th Anniversary of Christian Armenia, October 27-28, 2000)
- "Organization, Community, Church: Reflections on Orthodox Parish Polity in America," in The Orthodox Parish in America, ed. Anton Vrame (Brookline MA: Holy Cross Orthodox Press, 2004), 66-81.
- "The One True Church: Thoughts Concerning an Ecumenical Conundrum," in The Ecumenical Future, ed. Carl E. Braaten and Robert W. Jensen (Grand Rapids MI: Eerdmans, 2004), 145-161.
- "Orthodox Tradition: Yesterday and Today," for Orthodox Education Day booklet, 2003.
- "Episkope and Episcopacy in Modern Orthodox – Catholic Dialogue: An Orthodox Perspective," Unfailing Patience and Sound Teaching: Reflections on Episcopal Ministry in Honor of Rembert G. Weakland, O.S.B., ed. David A. Stosur (Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 2003), 93-110.
- "Generosity, Accountability, Vision: Historical Perspectives on Orthodox Stewardship in America," in Good and Faithful Servant: Stewardship in the Orthodox Church, ed. Anthony Scott (Crestwood NY: St Vladimir's Seminary Press, 2003), 119 -132.
- "Jaroslav Pelikan: The Living Legend in Our Midst," SVS News (Spring 2003), 2-3.
- "Canon 28 de Calcedonia: Su permanente significado para el debate del primado en la Iglesia,[Link to English version]" in Communio et Sacramentum: En el 70 cumpleanos del Prof. Dr. Pedro Rodriguez, ed. Jose R. Villar (Pamplona: Universidad de Navarra, 2003), 733-753.
- "Orthodox Theology in a Changing World," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 46 (2002), 307-314.
- "John Meyendorff, Scholar and Churchman," Byzantinische Forschungen 27 (2002), 197-206.
- Foreword to Alexander Bogolepov, Toward an American Orthodox Church (Crestwood NY: SVS Press, 2001), ix-xxiii.
- "An Orthodox Peace Witness?" in The Fragmentation of the Church and its Unity in Peacemaking (Grand Rapids MI: Eerdmans, 2001)
- "Greek Orthodox Theological Review," "Oikonomia," "Seminario Teologico Ortodosso di S. Vladimiro," "St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly," in Dizionario Enciclopedico dell'Oriente Cristiano, ed. Edward G. Farrugia (Roma: Pontificio Istituto Orientale, 2000), 362-363, 539-541, 681-682, 733.
- "Baptism and the Church's Faith," in Marks of the Body of Christ, ed. Carl E. Braaten and Robert W. Jensen (Grand Rapids MI: Eerdmans, 1999), 44-58
- "Episkope and Episcopacy: Orthodox Perspectives," in Episkope and Episcopacy and the Quest for Visible Unity, ed. Peter C. Bouteneff and Alan D. Falconer (Geneva: WCC, 1999), 80-92
- "Anathema: An Obstacle to Reunion?", St Nersess Theological Review 3 (1998), 67-75
- "Eastern Orthodox - Oriental Orthodox Dialogue and Its Implications for Christian Unity Today," Eastern Churches Journal 5 (1998), 21-34
- "First Among Equals: Papal Primacy in an Orthodox Perspective," Ecumenical Trends 27 (1998), 17-25
- "On the Cusp of Modernity: The Canonical Hermeneutic of St Nikodemus the Haghiorite," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 42 (1998), 45-66
- "The Formation of Orthodox Ecclesial Identity," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 42 (1998), 301-314
- "The Apostolic Letter Orientale Lumen and the Dialogue for Unity between Catholics and Orthodox: An Orthodox Perspective," Eastern Churches Journal 4 (1997); Spanish translation in Las Iglesias Orientales, ed. Adolfo Gonzalez Montes (Madrid: Biblioteca de Autores Cristianos, 2000), 109-29
- "The Code of Canons of the Oriental Churches (1990): A Development Favoring Relations Between the Churches?", The Jurist 57 (1997), 285-306; also in La Reception y la Comunion entre las Iglesias, ed. Herve Legrand, Julio Manzanares and Antonio Garcia y Garcia (Salamanca: Universidad Pontificia, 1997), 357-381; Italian translation in Recezione e Comunione tra le Chiese (Bologna: Edizioni Dehoniane, 1998), 311-332
- "Georges Florovsky" and "John Meyendorff," in Makers of Christian Theology in America, ed. Mark G. Toulouse and James O. Duke (Nashville: Abington, 1997), 494-499, 500-503
- "Worship and Prayer in Ecumenical Formation" (with Eileen W. Lindner), Theological Education 34 supplement (1997), 23-29
- "The Reception of Non-Orthodox into the Orthodox Church: Contemporary Practice," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 41 (1997), 1-17
- "Concerning the Balamand Statement," Greek Orthodox Theological Review 42 (1997), 25-43
- "Other Voices: A Report from the National Council of Churches of Christ Faith and Order Commission: The Hermeneutics of Reconciliation," Reformed Liturgy and Music 30 (1996), 193-198
- "Bishops, Presbyters, Deacons: An Orthodox Perspective," Kanon 13 (1996), 148-64
- "Eastern Orthodox - Oriental Orthodox Dialogue: An Historical Perspective," St Nersess Theological Review 1 (1996), 51-57
- "The New Ecumenical Directory of the Catholic Church: An Orthodox Theologian's Perspective," The Jurist 56 (1996), 667-90
- "The Council in Trullo: Issues Relating to the Marriage of Clergy," Greek Orthodox Theological Review 40 (1995), 183-199
- "La Representacion Plastica de lo Divino como Problema Teologico de los Canones del II Concilio de Nicea (787) a Hoy," in Arte y Fe, ed. Adolfo Gonzalez Montes (Salamanca: Universidad Pontificia, 1995), 555-568
- "The Value of the Church's Disciplinary Rule with Respect to Salvation in the Oriental Tradition," Atti del Congresso Internazionale "Incontro Fra Canoni d'Oriente e d'Occidente," ed. Raffaele Coppola (Bari: Cacucci, 1994), 245-274
- "The Local Churches and Catholicity: An Orthodox Perspective," The Jurist 52 (1992), 490-508
- "A New Crisis in Catholic-Orthodox Dialogue," Ecumenism 107 (1992), 22-24
- "The Priesthood in Patristic Teaching," in The Place of the Woman in the Orthodox Church and the Question of the Ordination of Women, ed. Gennadios Limouris (Katerini: Tertios, 1992), 103-115
- "Eastern Orthodox Perspectives on Divorce and Remarriage," in W. Roberts, ed., Divorce and Remarriage (Theological Book Service, 1990), pp 15-26
- "The International Orthodox-Roman Catholic Commission's Statement on Ordination," Ecumenical Trends 18 (1989), 49-52
- "Divergences in Pastoral Practice in the Reception of Converts," in T. Stylianopoulos, ed., Orthodox Perspectives on Pastoral Praxis (Holy Cross, 1988), 149-177
- "Sacramental 'Economy' in Recent Roman Catholic Thought," The Jurist 48 (1988), 653-67
- "Eucharist and Ministry in Bilateral and Multilateral Dialogue," Journal of Ecumenical Studies 23 (1986), 472-478 (reprint of SVTQ 28 (1984) 287-294 -- see below)
- "The Reception of Non-Orthodox Clergy into the Orthodox Church," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 29 (1985), 155-132
- "Reception of Non-Orthodox into the Orthodox Church," Diakonia 19 (1984-85), 68-86
- "The 'Oikonomia' of Orders in Byzantine Canon Law," in S. Kuttner and K. Pennington, eds., Proceedings of the Sixth International Congress (unknown publisher), 259-270
- "Eucharist and Ministry in Bilateral and Multilateral Dialogue," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 28 (1984), 287-294
- "The Orthodox Canonical Tradition," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 27 (1983), 155-167
- "Canon Law Society Meets," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 23 (1979), 51-54
- "Common Comprehension of Christians Concerning Autonomy and Central Power in the Church in View of Orthodox Theology," Kanon 4 (1979), 100-112
- "Penitential Discipline in the Orthodox Canonical Tradition," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 21 (1977), 191-206
- "Ecumenical Nature of the Orthodox Witness," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 21 (1977), 220-224
- "Consultation on the Date of Easter," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 21 (1977), 224-226
- "Oikonomia in Byzantine Canon Law," in K. Pennington, ed., Law, Church and Society, Festschrift S. Kuttner (1977), 225-236
- "Concrete Structural Organization of the Local Church: The 1971 Statute of the Orthodox Church in America," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 20 (1976), 9-18
- "New Pseudo-Isidore Manuscripts," Bulletin of Medieval Canon Law 5 (1975), 115-117.
- "The Collection in Three Books and Gratian's Decretum," Bulletin of Medieval Canon Law 2 (1972), 67-75
- "Greek Excerpts from the Decretum," Bulletin of Medieval Canon Law 1 (1971)
- Various entries in the Dizionario dell'Oriente cristiano, ed. Eduard Farrugia (Rome: Pontificio Istituto Orientale -- in press); the The Dictionary of the Middle Ages, ed. Joseph R. Strayer (New York: Scribner); and Lexikon fuer Theologie und Kirche
- "Autocephaly in Orthodox Canonical Literature to the Thirteenth Century," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 15 (1971), 28-41
- "Leavened and Unleavened: Some Theological Implications of the Schism of 1054," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 14 (1970), 155-176
Church & Professional Activities
- Member, Metropolitan Council, Orthodox Church in America (1999-2006)
- Unit coordinator for Church Order Ministries, Orthodox Church in America (1992-1999)
- Member and chairman, Department of History and Archives, Orthodox Church in America
- Member, Canonical Commission, Statute Commission, Preconciliar Commission, Orthodox Church in America
- Member, Faith and Order Commission, National Council of Churches of Christ (1997-2001)
- Member, North American Orthodox - Catholic Theological Consultation (1976-2003)
- Member, U.S. Eastern Orthodox -- Oriental Orthodox Consultation
- Member and former president, Orthodox Theological Society of America
- Member, Gesellschaft fuer das Recht der Ostkirchen