International Applicants

international students

St. Vladimir's Seminary prides itself on its international student body. This diversity provides a unique and rich blend of different people, cultures, and educational experiences. In recent years, students have come from Australia, Bosnia, Canada, Egypt, Estonia, Great Britain, Greece, India, Israel, Mexico, New Zealand, Norway, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Sweden, and Uganda. This international presence helps to encourage dialogue, valuable exchange, and a tangible sense of unity in Christ among students of all nations. International students are not eligible for federal student loans.

In order to undertake a program of study at St. Vladimir's Seminary, international students must demonstrate that they have attained a level of proficiency in English that is sufficient for graduate-level studies. The usual basis for evaluation is the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) of the Educational Testing Service, Box 955, Princeton, NJ 08540 (

The seminary's TOEFL Institute Code is: #2804. The minimum TOEFL iBT scores required are 96 (M.Div.), 100 (M.A.), 104 (Th.M. and D.Min.).

TOEFL waivers will be considered for applicants who have earned a degree from a college or university in the United States, or from a non-U.S. university where the primary language of instruction is English, as long as there is sufficient evidence that the applicant has attained the level of proficiency in English required for graduate-level studies.

International students are eligible for the seminary's need-based and merit-based financial aid awards (see Eligibility for Financial Aid). International students are not eligible for federal student loans.

Note: International applicants are reminded that federal law strictly limits employment in the United States. 

All international applicants must submit, as part of the admissions process, a certified English translation of the applicant’s criminal record, issued by the competent authority.

Upon accepting an offer of admission, all international students must a) submit a non-refundable enrollment deposit and b) demonstrate that sufficient funds are available to cover tuition and other expenses to be incurred during their course of study, including travel to and from the United States, by submitting the appropriate certification of financial support form by the deadline indicated on the form:

  1. Residential Degree Programs. International students in residential degree programs must submit a deposit (less seminary financial aid awards or other ecclesiastical or governmental scholarships) covering their first year's educational expenses. The deposit amount is set every January and can be found on the form for "Certification of Financial Support for Residential Programs." The certification form and deposit must be received before the seminary will issue an I-20 form for an F-1 visa application. This document is available on the admissions portal.
  2. Low-Residency Degree Programs. International students in the Doctor of Ministry program (D.Min.) must complete the form for "Certification of Financial Support for Low-Residency Programs" and pay the tuition and registration fees due (less seminary financial aid awards) before the seminary will issue an I-20 form for an F-1 visa application. This document is available on the admissions portal.

    Important note for continuing D.Min. students: Because the D.Min. program is classified as a low-residency program, continuing students who have been out of status, i.e., not in residence, for more than five months, as from November to July between onsite intensives, must obtain a new INS Form I-20 and pay the SEVIS I-901 fee again before entry in to the United States as a student. Continuing students who have been out of status for less than five months do not pay the fee, as they have not exceeded the program end date of their current I-20. The SEVIS fee for issuing an I-20 for F-1 students is $350.00.

A full list of admission requirements for international students can be found online, on the Admissions Portal. For additional information, please contact the Office of Admissions. For questions pertaining to F-1 visas and the visa application process, please contact Mrs. Ann Sanchez, Immigration Services Counselor.